Mini schools concept that works

Principal Mr Warwick Beynon with College Captains Chelsea Hatfield, Eloise Burton, Serena O’Rorke. (Picture: Supplied)

A Year 7-12 co-educational school, ever-growing Sunbury Downs College now has 650 students who belong to one of two ‘mini schools’: Middle Years (7-9); and Later Years (10-12, with year-level coordinators working with home group and classroom teachers.

Principal Warwick Beynon says that the college values of respect, resilience, ambition and community underpin and guide all interactions between students, parents/carers and staff.

He notes that the college has consistently achieved outstanding VCE results – at or above the state average.

“Recently, we completed two major capital works building programs, which have upgraded and modernised the Science, Physical Education and Student Hub areas of the College.

“The new state-of-the-art Dulap Wilim Hub (shared community facility) encompasses two commercial teaching kitchens for use by our students.

“Our curriculum program has a strong emphasis on each of the eight domain areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities, Arts (Visual and Performing), Technology, Physical Education/Health and Languages (Italian).

“And we offer a wide range of VCE subjects, including Vocational Education and Training (VET), a structured and rigorous Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning program (VCAL), and have introduced the Headstart program.”

The college is the only secondary school in the area that offers an Accelerated Curriculum and Enrichment (ACE) program for academically able students; extending students through a challenging curriculum including early commencement of VCE.

It also has a well-established student leadership program, including student voice and captains, and a house system with whole-school sporting carnivals for athletics and swimming. Students are allocated to one of the four houses (Aitken, Evans, Jackson, Mitchell) on enrolment, with an inter-school sporting program offering students the opportunity to represent the school at the local level.

Instrumental music tuition is offered as well, and a highly acclaimed musical production enables students to excel in the Performing Arts in an environment that fosters participation, responsibility and teamwork outside the classroom.

“I recommend contact with the school to obtain further information – and I look forward to many more joining our community,” Mr Beynon concludes.

Sunbury Downs College, 148-174 Mitchells Lane, Sunbury. Enquiries: 9744 0500 or www.sunburydowns.vic.edu.au